Map | Photo Gallery
One of three in a collection of Germain Street properties recently added to the Historica real estate portfolio, the General Electric building was erected between 1877 and 1881 when Saint John merchants dedicated themselves to rebuilding the city after two-thirds was destroyed by fire.
This beautiful red brick structure was first home to Hutchings & Company, which manufactured spring bed and mattresses until the First World War. After the war, the Canadian General Electric Company remained until 1960.
Today, the building is home to several large offices, including optometrist Dr. Arnold Brown on the now brightly painted ground floor.